Apply To Be An Orientation Leader!
The Orientation Team is a select group of student leaders on campus who assist our incoming eagles and their families to transition to our collegiate community. Orientation Leaders are paid a $1,250 stipend for their service from May-August. They also receive free on-campus housing and meals during the summer program and, of course, swag.
OLs have a variety of responsibilities which include working effectively and in a positive manner with other members of the team, academic advisors, campus representatives, incoming students, and their families. Members of the team will expand their knowledge of general information pertaining to the academic and student services, and resources at UMW. OLs are expected to deliver appropriate information and guidance to students and families, facilitate discussion groups with students and families, perform required office duties, assist with class registration, assist in the coordination and planning of Orientation programs, and perform additional duties as assigned. In addition, members of the team act as a public relations and information person on behalf of University of Mary Washington, exhibit behavior appropriate to the University, participate in all training activities, and provide feedback to the staff concerning orientation issues of any kind.
We will begin our process to select our future orientation leaders soon so if you are interested, we strongly encourage you to attend one of our remaining fall interest sessions:
- Tuesday, October 28th at 8:00 PM on Zoom (https://umw-sso.zoom.us/j/86187953961)
- Thursday, November 4th at 2:30 PM in HCC 207
- Wednesday, November 10th at 5 PM in HCC
- Monday, November 15th at 1 PM in the Link
Applications for New Orientation Leaders are live now on myUMW under the Orientation portal and are open now through January 14th, 2022. With this same application, you may also apply for the FSEM Peer Mentor position. Please find the application here: https://umw.presence.io/form/new-orientation-leader-and-fsem-peer-mentor-application-for-summer-2020
Dates to remember for OL Candidates:
Applications Due: January 14th, 2022
Weekly Training Sessions for successful candidates: Every Wednesday from March 10-April 13, 4-6 pm.
Additional training will take place on May 2nd for OLs also serving as an FSEM Peer Mentor.
Summer training: May 30 -June 12
Summer Orientation: June 13-July 8
August training and New Student Arrival & Welcome: August 8-22
You may also feel free to apply for one of the other exciting positions we have available in our Office of New Student Programs: FSEM Peer mentor and NEST Leader! Here are some brief details about each position:
- FSEM Peer Mentor (PM) is a paid leadership position ($250 stipend) and experiential learning class during the fall semester. PMs facilitate connections within an FSEM class, assisting the students in their transition to life at UMW. You can opt into applying for the OL and PM position if both positions interest you. Applications for FSEM Peer Mentor (PM) can be found here: https://umw.presence.io/form/fsem-peer-mentor-application-2021
- NEST Leaders (NL) are part of the early arrival experience based on service in the Fredericksburg community. NLs work in small groups to create connections between incoming students, UMW, and the Fredericksburg community. Applications for Nest Leader: https://umw.presence.io/form/new-nest-leader-application.